Thursday, April 3, 2008

Farsight

I have decided to dedicate this blog to my brother's n64 glory days. I am specifically speaking about Perfect Dark. Now simply saying that Alan was "good" at this game would have been both a large understatement and highly incorrect. It would be like calling the warm beverage that I am drinking "coffee" when it is clearly a "mocachino." The best way to describe Alan's talent is summed up with a quote by my good friend Robert Ocampo, "How do you have such immaculate aim?"

No matter what senario you were playing and how much talent you thought you had, Alan was always better than you. And if you thought you were good at a Perfect Dark, he reassured you, and anyone else who happened to be watching, that your were actually terrible.


The quote by Robert can be used as a sort of epistemological claim if you will to define his greatness. Just as the philosopher Descartes proved that he actually exist by saying "Cogrito ergo sum" (i think therefore i am), Robert proves that Alan is a god at Perfect Dark when he says "how do you have such immaculate aim?" By using the word "immaculate" Robert perfectly describes how unfathomable and ridiculous it could be when playing against him at this game.


Let me just give a small glimpse of just how crazy Alan was at this game. If you had a body armor, an overshield, invisibility, and the best weapon in the entire level and you knew that alan's character had just re-spawned with a pistol that only had 5 bullets in it, he would somehow be able to score the kill you the second he poped up on your screen.


If Perfect Dark were the Matrix, then Alan would have been Neo. Now when I say Neo, I mean after he figures out that he is "The One." In the earlier scenes of the movie, Morpheus tells Neo that the Matrix operates on a system of rules. Morpheus says, "yet their strength and their speed are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast as you can be." Everyone who played Perfect Dark had to follow the rules that the game created. Alan on the other hand was not held down by the limitations of the game. He could throw a remote mine on your back and then purposely run to the complete opposite side of the level and shoot you. I wish I got that on video. If Youtube happened to be out then, that could have possibly have made alan instantly famous. Alan was "The One" when it came to Perfect Dark. If only I had that on video. I could have showed it to anyone who hadn't seen what I am talking about and say, "Do you believe me now Trinity?"



*For those of you who are not familiar with The Matrix, let me give you another comparison. Playing Perfect Dark against Alan would have been like playing chess against someone who always had you on checkmate. No matter what your next move would be, you're dead. Sound frustrating? It was...especially when Alan was chuckling the whole time.*


More instructions to follow...

No comments: